5.11.17 Thursday Note
Swimming lessons for grades 1st to 6th grade will start Tuesday, May 30th to June 8th. Permission notes and details will be coming home in a couple of weeks.
We will be needing volunteers to supervise kids in the changing rooms. If you would like to help, please contact the front office at 503-649-5518. Volunteer hours will be in the morning.
Mr. Tillotson's Retirement Party
Please join us on Saturday, May 20th at 3:00 pm in the school's cafeteria to wish Mr. Tillotson well as he retires.
Light refreshments will be served.
If you would like to donate money towards a retirement gift, please drop it off at the front office by Monday, May 15th.
Thanks and we hope to see you there!
Our Spring Music Concert will be held on Wednesday, May 17th at 7pm. The theme of the concert is, "Celebrating Diversity: Music from this world and beyond"... the beyond being the Star Wars theme for band.
As a part of this program, I desire to bring to light the many countries that are represented in the student population. I would like to enlist the parents' help in this.
1. I would like to have students dress in CLOTHING that represents your family's country of origin. So, what this means is if you have traditional clothing representing your ethnicity, OR if your families ethnicity is mixed with several countries you can pick a country to represent...preferably the one that is the origin of your surname (last name), OR if you are unaware of your ethnic origin feel free to represent the STATE in the US where the student was born. This clothing can include traditional festive clothing, or a soccer jersey or sports jersey, or the student can wear clothing that shows the colors of the country or state flag you are representing.
2. My next idea is for the finale of the program. My daughter, Leigha, spent 5 months in India with Youth With a Mission doing Discipleship Training School. Her group consisted of students from India, South Africa, Australia and the United States. The students fro India were from several different states in India, and while Hindi was the shared language, each Indian state had their own local language. One evening for Worship, they all sang the song, "I Could Sing of Your Love Forever." When they got to the repeated line, they sang it one at a tie in their own dialect. Leigha was very moved. So much so that she suggested we do this very thing for this concert. SO as much as it is possible, can you teach your sons and daughters this line I COULD SING OF YOUR LOVE FOREVER, in your native dialect? If you would like to hear this song, here is the YouTube Link that you can go to and hear it. https///www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNVmpLQhK7Q
3. Lastly, if any of you have native dances or musical instruments and would be willing to share either a demonstration or short performance, I would really like to have as much culture represented as possible.
Please contact me via email Twlvstrings@aol.com or by phone 303-881-2458 and let me know if you're available to share your talents, or if you have any questions regarding any of the things mentioned in this letter. It's my honor and great privilege to teach your students! I look forward to exploring and celebrating the diversity represented by Tualatin Valley Academy!
Blessings and Peace - Mrs. Boyer
Lost and Found
If your child is running out of things to wear at home, it is probably because their clothes have a new home in our lost and found. Please take a minute to stop by and see if you recognize any of your child's clothes. If they are not claimed by June 13th, they will be donated to a local charity.
Our last SCRIP order for the 2016-2017 school year will be placed on Tuesday May 16th. Please have your orders turned into the office by 10:00 am on May 16th.
8th Grade Graduation
TVA's 8th Grade Graduation will be held in our school's gym on June 8th at 7:00 pm. Please join us as we celebrate with our 8th grade students.
Our preschool class will be having their promotion on Tuesday, June 8th at 10:00 am in the Spynergy Room.
Make Up Days
Please make sure you put the following make up days on your calendar:
1. June 9th is now a full day of school.
2. We will have school on June 12th, 13th and 14th.
3. June 14th will be a minimum day.